Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Shrimp Tank Flourishing

This is just a short report.

My 10G shrimp tank is flourishing, expecially since I installed a MicMol G1 Aqua Air 20W Planted Tank lighting strip, which was surprisingly affordable at $69.99.

First, I'll let the picture speak:

10G with LED lighting & lucky bamboo
The longer these lucky bamboo are in there, the better they seem to do, they are doing amazingly well. My plants are doing so well that I am harvesting them all the time and giving them away to other aquarists, and to the local pet store. In the interim the colony of RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) is growing steadily, and they are becoming one of my favorite animals to keep, even though in the picture here you'd barely notice them - you have to be up close to catch them in a picture.  Here's a nice write up on Red Cherry Shrimp on Aquariadise. I started with about 15 of them in the summer, added in three batches over a period of two months. Presently I probably have about 70, and I am told that this size tank will sustain 100-150. To really enjoy them, you have to get close and just watch their activities for a while, but I can stare at them for hours.

As you can see the plants are thriving too, and there are no algae problems, between the shrimp and the snails that is totally under control.


No comments:

Post a Comment