Friday, April 28, 2017

Evolution and a Revolutionary Change

OK, the revolution part was a complete reworking of my filter system. I replaced a Hydor Pro 150 with a API/RENA Filstar XPS, and in the process I replaced my ATI Prefilter II with a model III, because it allows higher flow rates, the output of the filter is plumbed into the Vecton200 UV filter, and continues with the Hydor 200W in-line heater, and finally that flows into a Vecton #600 Fluidized Sand Filter.

Here is the tank as it looks now:

29G Planted tank


 And here are the components of the new filter solution:

  1. ATI Filter Max Pre-filter III (replacing a No II, because of the higher flow rate)
  2. API Filstar XPS canister filter
  3. TMC Vecton 200 UV  sterilizer (that was in place before)
  4. Hydor ETH 200W 1/2" in-line heater
  5. TMC Vecton #600 fluidized sand bed (FSB) filter
The addition of the sand bed filter seems to be making a clear difference in the clarity of the water. For the record, the TMC Vecton product line is very well represented in the US by American Aquarium Products, which always stands out for its expert advice, both on its sales site, and on its Everything Aquatic forum. The quality of responses you get from them always stands out.
TMC Vecton #600 FSB filter behind the tank.

I will assume that the Filstar XPS is not technically a better filter than the Hydor Pro150 which it replaced, except for the somewhat higher flow rate. The biggest difference is that it is much easier to prime, thanks to its quick disconnect, and the fill-tube. That process is vastly superior than the manual priming pump on the Hydor and many other canisters, which was always hard to do because of where it was located under the tank. Better priming solutions are now one of the exciting features of a newer generation of canister filters.

API Filstar XPS
I have become completely hooked on the Filter Max Pre-filters, because they keep debris and inverts, as well as babies, out of the filter intake, which also reduces filter maintenance. It is mounted on the intake to the canister, and you cannot see it, except from the side of the tank, because it is entirely hidden by the big plants on the right side of the tank.

What I am hoping to see is that this new filtration setup will alleviate my algae problem somewhat. I have added in some black mollies, but I am not entirely sure that will be successful with my pH 7.0 water, on the other hand, I religiously use Wonder Shells to add some electrolytes to the water, and I believe that will make a difference for my ability to keep Black Mollies. Time will tell.

One thing I got to validate by accident almost is that UV will lower your ORP readings. My UV bulb had been out for a few months and I used the occasion of all the changes I was making at this time to do the bulb replacement at the same time. I tracked the improvement in ORP in the following week, and I found the number coming down by about 100 points, which is potentially very significant about the overall health of the water.

The next project is a new round of monitoring of water and lighting parameters, to see if I can get conditions to stabilize in terms of the plant growth. There is no question that the plants have caught on and are doing really well, but my lighting setup allows for a great deal of control to achieve optimal levels. My problem is becoming how to trim the plants, and I also am giving away plants to any other fish keepers I know, as well as to my local pet store.

Conceptually, what I feel like with this excellent filtration setup is like my tank becomes like a little pond in a (simulated) larger body of water. It is true that there is competition between the filter and the plants for nutrition, for the fish waste is used by the plants to grow, but it is also broken down in the filter. To me that conflict translates in to a shifting of the parameters, including the increased bio-load I can support in a small tank. I had wanted to add some black mollies to combat algae, and I did, and in the first two weeks it seems the water parameters are doing just fine, I am not seeing any uptick in Nitrates.

2 comments: